Upcoming events –

Napa-Sonoma Half Marathon, July 20, 2014
Noble Canyon 50km Trail, September 20, 2014

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Walking is Amazing

When did we start taking walking for granted? My son, Miles, is just learning to walk and it is simply amazing. It seems like moments ago that my wife and I were astounded when he rolled over. Now he's walking?! It's unbelievable.

Imagine for a moment that you don't know how to walk. Start over. Where do you begin? Learn to stand. Balance. Coordinate one foot's step with the shifting of your entire body weight to the other foot. Plop. Your butt hits the floor (ouch, it's way off the floor and isn't padded with a big diaper). So, you pull yourself up again and stand, balance, step with your arms flailing around, stumbling from one drunken foot to the other. One step, two steps, and plop. Repeat.

I suppose it isn't much different from what we do every day, whether we are racewalkers, fitness walkers, or just stumble-from-the- couch-to-the-fridge- to-the-couch walkers. Some days we walk effortlessly, smoothly and gracefully. Other days we stumble, struggle and stub our toes. He's got a long ways to go, but right now, Miles is the most amazing walker I have ever seen. Arms raised over his head, big smile on his face, a grace that belies his age even as he sways from side to side – a big bundle of energy charging at me, flopping on my belly with giggles and charm. Miles reminds me that walking is amazing.

No comments: