Upcoming events –

Napa-Sonoma Half Marathon, July 20, 2014
Noble Canyon 50km Trail, September 20, 2014

Tuesday, August 3, 2004

Olympic Village, Athens

August 3--Olympic Village, Athens

Oh my goodness, I made it! After a long two days of traveling from San Diego to Chicago to Frankfurt to Athens, I am in the Olympic Village. It's late on Tuesday evening and I'm ready to get some sleep. It may be difficult with all of the excitement of today, but I'm so tired that I'll probably fall asleep before I know it.

The best part of today was seeing all of my friends who have also made the US Olympic Team: Deena Kastor and Jen Rhines were on the same flights from Chicago to Athens; my training partners Curt Clausen and John Nunn met us in Frankfurt; the entire US women's soccer team, fresh off a 3-1 victory over China, was at Team Processing at the American College of Greece (so I got to chat with friends Brandi Chastain, Julie Foudy, Cindy Parlow and their coach April Heinrich); Abdi Abdirahman and Anthony Famiglietti were in the Village when we arrived. It was great!

Team Processing was a lengthy ordeal, lots of hurry up and wait, hurry up and wait. But it was swag central with lots and lots of wonderful Olympic clothes from US sponsors Roots and adidas. I'm a bit disappointed with the Opening Ceremonies outfits this time. Usually we wear a nice blazer, khakis, and a panama hat. This time there is none of the dignity and ritual of the older uniforms. We're going to look like a bunch of sloppily dressed teenagers with hats on backwards, baggy sweat pants, and blue suede shoes. Yes, Elvis would be proud of the shoes, but he would be horrified by the rest of the ensemble.

Well, that's it for tonight. It's going to be another busy day with a trip to view the race course in the morning and then an afternoon flight to Crete. Enjoy a few photos from today's travels.


View of Athens from plane


Team Processing at American College of Greece


Me and my Opening Ceremonies friend


First view of the Olympic Village

No comments: