Upcoming events –

Napa-Sonoma Half Marathon, July 20, 2014
Noble Canyon 50km Trail, September 20, 2014

Saturday, August 19, 2000

Enroute from San Diego to Sydney

When I was in grade school, I remember reading about Australia's exotic animals, like koalas and kangaroos. I remember finding Australia on a map of the world and thinking how far away it must be. I'm on the plane right now from Los Angeles to Sydney, Australia, about to discover just how long it takes to fly to the other side of the world.

My Olympic Track and Field teammates and I boarded a plane in San Diego earlier this evening. We are all wearing the same gray sweatpants and white polo shirts, so we are very easily recognized as a team. On the first flight, the captain of the plane announced that the Olympic Track and Field Team was on the flight and everyone cheered and asked us lots of questions. It's great being a member of the 2000 Olympic Team and I am so excited now that the journey has begun. It's suddenly very real. "I'm going to the Olympics." I've been telling myself that since I finished third at the 50km racewalk trials in February, but now I'm actually on the plane to Australia. I'm wearing my official Olympic clothes. I'm surrounded by my Olympic teammates and coaches. I'm really going to the Olympics. Wow!

It began to sink in a few days ago when I went through Team Processing. All of the Olympic sponsors gave us clothes and luggage and other goodies to take along. Adidas gave all of us shirts, shorts, shoes and workout clothes. Nike gave us a bunch of clothes, too. I hardly had to pack any other clothes! It's fun being treated so well. They even offered free haircuts and manicures before our long trip. I suppose they want us looking our best. The flight ahead of me is very long. We were told it would be nearly fifteen hours of continuous flight. They'll show us three movies, serve two meals, and there will still be time to spare. Right now I'm going to get some rest.

It's already been a long day. I raced 20 kilometers this morning with Jefferson Perez, 1996 Olympic champion in the 20km racewalk, and my U.S. Olympic walking teammates. Then I finished packing and began morning with Jefferson Perez, 1996 Olympic champion in the 20km racewalk, and my U.S. Olympic walking teammates. Then I finished packing and began my journey. Now it's time to take a short nap and dream about kangaroos and platypus. (What's the plural of platypus?)

No comments: